Skip to main content

A Seed Waiting to Grow



"Learning is simply the act of man climbing an endless ladder that he is doomed to fall from. But damn, do I want to be high up when I slip." - Me, 8/8/17.

 My name is Vladimir Bruce McMahan. I love to learn. More importantly, I seek to improve both my knowledge base and capability as a human being. Through science, philosophy, theorizing and any other method, I can get my hands on. Why? Let's jump into it. 


Image result for mind gifWhen I was six years old, I was struck with a rather strange thought. "I'm not good at sports, but people like to call me smart. How do I get smarter...?" This was my first unnatural question. Quite a big moment. Even bigger was when I pondered "Teachers are smart! So if teachers make you smarter, that means the more the smarter you get... But since they're people, can't anybody be a teacher? So then I should make everybody my teacher!" Enter psychology. I effectively tricked myself into studying people as a child. Something I've done even till this day, an exact decade later. From that first thought, I have explored logical and emotional intelligence, perception, the way one's experiences shape a person, depression, the various consciousnesses, ideology, emotional attachments, core needs of the human mind, dopamine, social psychology, communication and so on. And that's just psychology. Related image

I digress. All of the exploration I have done in life was not without purpose. My childhood was undoubtedly a stress-fest. Parents had a massive divorce directly affecting my little sis and me for almost ten years. It did not bode well for anyone, I ended up suffering from a very bad depression for a long segment of my life. (It went up and down in severity) That's not mentioning a couple of things, but the message is the same. Life has thrown a lot of unpleasant stuff at me. Through it all though, I survived. In fact for someone in my situation? I thrived. Comparatively, of course. Nonetheless, I was and am still convinced that in order for the efforts of those who love me as well as my survival to mean anything, I must repay my debt. My past self and all those who helped me get here have planted a single seed, I will do everything in my power to ensure it blossoms brilliantly.

Image result for cherry blossom growth gif
That is why I am here. To learn and improve as a person. My theories, discoveries, and ideas will all be on this blog in time. I hope that I can inspire some interesting thoughts within the people who read this. Right next to improving myself, I believe that it's important to make the world a better place so that the human condition as a whole is a pleasant one.

Is there anything in particular that you would like to know about me? Or maybe my opinion on a certain subject? I would love to know and answer. Good day to all of you. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Link Between Psychology and Philosophy

First, it was psychology. A six-year-old tricking himself into studying human behavior for years to come. That's how it all started. However, that certainly was not the end. When it comes to understanding human thought and mental processes, such explorations often lead to a similar concept. Rather than the processes of the human mind, this field studies its perception and handling of the world. This field is known as philosophy . A field of human thought possessed and explored since the beginning of our existence. Classic questions such as "Why are we here?" and "What's our purpose here?" come to mind. It encompasses any opinion and moral, by definition. So then how does one make the jump from how one reacts to a situation, to one's opinion on life? More philosophically speaking: why does the jump occur? Right off the bat, both fields share multiple familiar traits. They're both about human perception and reaction. Just about any mental proce

Kurzgesagt In a Nutshell: Quantum Computers Discussion

< Video and base of discussion In life, we enjoy the simple things. I usually like complex things made plain and easily digestible. I'm sure anyone about to research something prefers it  This video starts out just like that. It mentions how the three main factors of human technology have been our brains, fire and sharp sticks (Information/processing power, energy and weapons respectively). I would agree that our technology has mainly been about this, but there are quite a few other equally important parts to human tech ( Economics is half a social concept and half material, industry/production ,) aside these three things. Rather than be taken as a total summary of our technology, I would prefer the statement be taken as a heavily general and simple version of some key aspects to human technology.  Anyway, the video then goes into how our brains have been exponentially improving over the last century. Namely, computers. Computer software runs on something called bits. On